Wednesday, 21 March 2012
This here is my "let's not commit to this new weight gain and make something loose and forgiving, shall we?" dress. Made from a be-YOO-ti-ful cornflower blue crepe I scored in the best Kijiji haul of all time (story forthcoming) and a vintage Simplicity pattern lent to me by friend Dara. Total 60's tent magicness. I find the only way these shapes work on non-modelly types is to crank up the hem so it's not too sexless. So that's what I did. Unfortunately, it's basically summer in Montreal right now so when I wore it to work I was a sweaty wool wreck but I can't wait to wear this in the fall with thick cream tights and boots.
She came together real smooth and easy except the mock turtleneck was more like a neck brace. Seriously a good 1.5 inches higher than the illustration. I've been noticing these weird quirks in patterns lately. I would hope that companies hire people to test them out before the print them but when I notice things like this I wonder... This dress is a similiar story. There were at least 2 major construction issues with that pattern. I expect more from you Vogue!
Also, even though it didn't call for it I lined this dress with a pretty lilac poly because wool + skin = itchy scratchy. Overall I'm really happy with it. Groovy, swingin' 60's vibes are pretty good vibes indeed.
1. Just because it's printed on official looking paper does not mean it is the holy word of sewing goddesses. Pattern makers are people too, and sometimes they make mistakes.
2. First topstitched item! Learning to keep those babies straight and clean.
3. More battles with an invisible zipper.
4. Making prettier, more invisible slip stitches.
Pattern: Simplicity 7203
Total Cost (including notions): less than $10
Time to Make: 12 hours (there was a lot of hand sewing with the lining and hem. A LOT).